Clin Endosc > Epub ahead of print
“Endoshield”: A Physical Protective Box for Pediatric Endoscopy during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Busara Charoenwat1 , Suphasarang Sirirattanakul2 , Kangsadan Hangnak3 , Itsares Muikham4
1Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Pediatrics, Srinagarind Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
2Department of Clinical Chemistry, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
3Faculty of Architecture, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
4Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Correspondence :  Busara Charoenwat ,Tel: +66-43-363-012, Fax: +66-43-363-013, Email: busarcha@kku.ac.th
Received: February 21, 2021  Revised: February 27, 2021   Accepted: March 2, 2021
Abstract

Background/Aims:
The coronavirus disease (COVID)-19 pandemic presents challenges for gastrointestinal endoscopy. Although the virus is transmitted through contact and droplets, aerosol-generating procedures produce aerosols that can spread through airborne routes. Several gastrointestinal societies have released statements to protect patients and health care providers (HCPs). This study describes a barrier box that may be used as an adjunctive device in addition to personal protective equipment during endoscopies.
Methods:
A transparent acrylic box called “Endoshield” was created to place over patient’s head and shoulders and was tested for its ease of use for the endoscopist and suitability for patient size and position.
Results:
Twelve children (66.67%, male) with a median age of 9 years (range, 2–11 years) underwent emergency or urgent endoscopy between April and June 2020 during the COVID-19 outbreak. The most common presenting symptom was life-threatening gastrointestinal bleeding (8/12, 66.67%), while the rest had urgent symptoms (4/12, 33.33%). The “Endoshield” was suitable for all patient positions (left lateral position: 9/12, 75% and supine position: 3/12, 25%). The patients and HCPs were followed up for their symptoms on day 14, and none of them had any symptoms of concern.
Conclusions:
The “Endoshield” is affordable, reusable, and suitable for both positions.
Key Words: Aerosol-generating procedures; COVID-19 pandemic; “Endoshield”; Pediatric endoscopy
TOOLS
PDF Links  PDF Links
Full text via DOI  Full text via DOI
Download Citation  Download Citation
CrossRef TDM  CrossRef TDM
  E-Mail
Share:      
METRICS
0
Crossref
0
Scopus
201
View
19
Download
Related article
Editorial Office
Korean Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
#817, 156 Yanghwa-ro(LG Palace, Donggyo-dong), Mapo-gu, Seoul, 04050, Korea
TEL: +82-2-335-1552   FAX: +82-2-335-2690    E-mail: ce@kams.or.kr
Copyright © Korean Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. All rights reserved.                 Developed in M2PI
Close layer